Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Paris in the Springtime


Finally, spring is here! And I feel like an animal coming out of hibernation (if only I burned body fat during the winter like one).

Palais Royal

To celebrate the arrival of the new season, Shannon at Je Ne Sais Quoi invited me to contribute to her piece "Why Paris Bloggers Love Paris in the Springtime."  Here is my two centimes, as well as my favorite picnic spot in the city:


I can find things to love about Paris all year round, but the city is a bit more lovable in spring. Winter isn’t exactly a tough act to follow. Spring offers the beginning of longer days and picnic weather. My favorite picnic spot is Parc Montsouris. With its puppet shows, pony rides, trains, playgrounds and name (which translates to Mice Mountain), I like to think this park was an early inspiration for Disneyland. The large lake in the center—which attracts birds other than city pigeons—and the hidden wooded trails will make you feel like you’re on Tom Sawyer Island. And if you don’t feel like packing a picnic basket, Parc Montsouris has concession stands offering up cotton candy, ice cream and crêpes. There’s even a proper restaurant in the park with a view of the lake, the Pavillon Montsouris.

To read what other Paris bloggers think of spring in Paris, please check out the full article on Girls' Guide to Paris.  Thanks!

9 comments:

Aditha said...

I like the Parc montsouris too, so close to the Cité universitaire, full of different nationalities ! It's like having Central Parc in Paris, from my parisian eyes ! But what I prefer in this parc, it's when there's a movie projection with the "Cinema au clair de lune"'s festival during summer. So romantic !

Amy75 said...

Hi Aditha, I've heard about the movie screenings in the park, but have yet to attend one. Definitely putting it on my to do list. Thanks for reminding me and thanks for your comment! Like your assessment of Cité U too :)

Karin (an alien parisienne) said...

I have only ever been past Parc Montsouris on the bus on the way to Orly, and it is one place I really want to go. It was created at the same time as the Buttes Chaumont, and I think by the same designer, too! (I should know by now -- it's in that book I am reviewing, lol. I should go fact-check for sure.)

I'm glad you like the photo. That's one of my most favorite ever! I felt so lucky that day in April 2010, when I captured photos in the Parc des Buttes Chaumont -- everything was so pretty it made getting good photos a piece of cake.

Thank you for sharing your piece in its entirety, Amy. And if you would ever like to introduce me to the Parc Montsouris, I would be most pleased!

Amy75 said...

Karin, We'll have to do a "park swap" - I'll show you mine if you show me yours :) Can't believe I've never been to Buttes Chaumont, other than walk by when visiting a friend in the neighborhood. Thanks again for the photo. It and the rest on your blog are great.

Linds said...

Thanks for blogging about a park I haven't gotten to visit yet. Your description definitely makes me want to spend an afternoon there!

Lost In Cheeseland said...

For a VERY short time I lived at Cité U. and would go running at Montsouris and while it definitely felt like I was out of Paris (or at least, far away), it was so refreshing to see families, students and people from all walks of life strolling about.

Hannah said...

Sounds idyllic, think I will have to go there when I visit Paris next month!

Amy75 said...

@Linds, Just checked out your blog. Love it. The Velib post = excellent!
@LiC, How fun that you lived at Cité U for a bit. Must have been a fun experience. I'd have loved to have done that in my college days.
@Hannah, it's kind of on the outskirts, but really lovely. Btw, your blog is really doing well. Bet you're happy you started!

Hannah said...

Oh me and my boyfriend tend to wander a lot when we go on holiday so should be feasible. Yes, I am really enjoying it, and I really appreciate you following and comments!