Monday, April 04, 2011

Guest Blog - Misadventures with Andi ("A Passion for Paris")

Bonjour, friends! 

I recently wrote a guest post for Misadventures with Andi  for her series "A Passion for Paris."  Andi loves Paris and asked some of her blogger friends to share their stories about their love for Paris too.  Here is mine:

A Passion for Paris . . .

My passion for Paris developed over time – a flicker that grew into a flame opposed to love at first sight. I’d been living in San Francisco for 10 years prior to moving to Paris and already felt like I’d won the-perfect-city-to-live-in lottery. Plus, because I was moving to Paris (most likely) permanently, I think I viewed the city with a critical eye opposed to someone on holiday. It was my new home and I didn’t like that my new home had dog poop everywhere, aggressive commuters, biting weather and short days. I probably should have moved in springtime not winter. In the end, however, I was no match for Paris. She has been stealing American hearts for decades and mine was no exception. Little by little she won me over and I fell in love. Here is how she did it:

1. The Newness

After five years, I can still get lost in Paris. Twenty “arrondissements” equals twenty different places to discover; each has its own monuments, character and story. Today, I explored a new corner of Butte-aux-Cailles in the 13th arrondissement. Last night, I dined at a friend’s place in the 9th arrondissement. The brasseries were straight out of an old French film and some of the store fronts hadn’t been touched in more than a century. Tomorrow, I might stand on a footbridge over the Canal Saint Martin in the 10th arrondissement and watch the water rise as a boat prepares to pass beneath me. Whatever I do, I will not be bored and I’m guaranteed to see or learn something new whether it’s a word “en français,” the name of a historical figure on a street sign, a chateau on a wine bottle, how to convert a cup of flour to grams while making gougères, or random street art.

To read the rest of my story, please visit Andi's blog by clicking here.  Thank you!

3 comments:

Aditha said...

Thanks for this new post Amy ! :-))

I'm a parisian since... all my life in fact and I can still get lost in different streets : and that is what I love in Paris : you have always something to discover !

I'm going to read all your post on Andi's blog !

Andi said...

It was so great to have you and thanks again for contributing such a wonderful post!

Amy75 said...

Aditha, Thank you so much for reading and for leaving me comments. I love that you're a true Parisian and can still get lost here - that means I have many, many more places awaiting discovery.

Andi, thanks again. Always a good experience guestposting for you :)