Thursday, October 07, 2010

Color me deformed!

Inspired by a wonderful blog post about Montmartre written by Linsdey at Lost in Cheeseland, I pulled out an old photo album for some good memories and some great laughs!

Like most tourists, I wanted to visit Montmartre my first trip to Paris.  It's more like a charming village rather than a quarter of a giant city. Because of this, along with its beautiful views, the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur and the film Amélié, it is overrun with tourists.  And where there are tourists, there are tourist traps.  I fell for the most common of all:  The Portrait.  
 

People used to tell me that I looked like Shannen Doherty. I was not thrilled by the comparison, especially since I thought she had a crooked face and a squinty eye. As I grew older, and Bevery Hills 90210 was no longer on the air, I didn't hear it quite as often. In fact, I had nearly forgotten about it until this sketch. 

Luckily, when viewing this work of "art" most people are so surprised that Greg Kinnear agreed to pose with me that they hardly notice my lop-sided face.  (That day I also learned that my neck is as thick as a linebacker's.) This worst part is I distinctly remember that the peanut gallery of tourists that had congregated behind the "artist" to judge his work were nodding approvingly and giving me the thumbs-up.   

13 comments:

D said...

That is f'n cracking me up. Thanks for a good start to my morning!

Dayna said...

First of all - you do not look like Shannon Doherty and secondly.....I do not think this sketch looks like you at all! You are beautiful!!! But, I must admit- it was a good laugh. xoxox

Pepe Le Pew said...

That's harsh. I wonder if this guy does weddings.

Amy75 said...

D, I do what I can.
Dayna, Thank you so much :)
Pepe, Not only would this guy do sketches at weddings, but he'd probably say he could sing if you offered to pay him.

kyh said...

I've longed to visit Paris, or Montmatre. And you've reminded me to watch Amelie, which I've kept in my hard disk but have got no chance to watch yet. :D

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I stumbled across your blog and I LOVE IT!! All these hilarious experiences should be consolidated for a book. It would definitely be on the Best Sellers list. I now have to read all posts but so far you got me laughing out loud. Please please keep posting!

Aloha,
A new fan on the Big Island of Hawaii

golfinparadise said...

Aloha Amy,
I just left comment under anonymous and
just wanted to let you know I read your profile and I too am from Orange County. It's a good thing to see another surviving soul got outta there...lol! Keep up the blogging...I'm hooked.

Virginia said...

Well you're a good sport to share it with us. Keith says you are celebrating an anniversary here and I came over to add my regards. Hope to visit often!
V

golfinparadise said...

Mahalo (thank you) Amy for stopping by! I decided to blog after the constant nagging from family and friends and after reading some blogs I thought it may not be a bad idea. So, as of yesterday I'm officially a blogger. Yours has been a true inspiration and deliciously entertaining! I too will learn to find the humor in learning the hawaiian language and the fashion faux pas made by the tourists and ultimately my golf game. Brad now refers to me as 'trucker' or 'sailor' while on the golf course due to the choice words I use. Well, keep the laughs coming and give mon amour à Paris! One of my favorite citites in the world!

Ont une bonne nuit!

mommyshorts said...

This is hilarious. I don't know what you look like, but that portrait is the spitting image of Brenda Walsh! Also- I remember my trip to Montmartre. Quaint it ain't. I ran around like a lunatic trying to find a piece of art to take home as a souvenir while my husband stood in one corner of the square desperately waiting to get the hell out of there as quickly as possible.

Amy75 said...

@Kyh - Definitely watch it. The cinematography is beautiful and the story is super cute. I saw it on one of my first dates with my husband.
@ Virginia - Having looked at your photography, you are a true artist. I'll have to check out your calendar to see if you have any Montemartre shots.
@GiP - Thank you! And I love your new nickname. That's awesome. Glad you'll be blogging about your experiences.
@Mommyshorts, Your husband is smart! I can't believe mine agreed to pose with me. We clearly were still in the honeymoon phase of dating. If you're still looking for that piece of art/souvenir, I'd be happy to sell you my portrait :)

Shannon said...

Yep. My official standing: the portrait = freaky. I'm going to reassure you here, you're not so lop-sided in person ;) lol
I have one of these lying around too where my head is even more tiny than in real life. I think these guys just want us to feel insecure!

Amy75 said...

@Shannon, Once again, you've made me feel better about myself. Thank you! Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who fell for it. At least I know if I ever lose my job, I can become an artist at Montmartre - no experience necessary!