Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BFFF = Best Food Friends Forever!

I moved to Paris in late 2005 and immediately started gaining weight. French women may not get fat, but apparently American women living in France do. The fact is I don't smoke and I enjoy eating too much to let food sit on my plate and pretend I'm not hungry.

I appreciate all kinds of food from kebabs, the French equivalent of a California burrito, to la grande cuisine francaise. My absolute favorite, however, is great food at a reasonable price without pretentious service. While Michelin-rated restaurants are definitely a treat every once in a while, why just eat one meal when you can have three or four for the same price? 

Based on the foregoing, my good friend Dina asked me if I'd be interested in writing occasional food reviews about my experiences in France for her San Francisco based food blog The Dish & The Dirt.  Dina is a former classmate, former roommate, played wing woman the night I met my husband, gave the toast at my wedding, introduced me to the writings of David Sedaris, and loves to eat as much and as often as I do.  I said yes and have been very excited about it ever since.  Basically, everything I've ever done with this woman has turned out to be a positive experience (except maybe the Atkins Diet) and I'm sure this will be no exception. 
   
I hope you enjoy reading along as I walk and eat my way through the streets of Paris, which I finally discovered really is the best way to indulge in all the French food I want and (mostly) still fit into my beloved American blue jeans! 

My very first review can be viewed here: A Room with No View.

Thank you!

9 comments:

Lost In Cheeseland said...

Oh man, I hear you on the weight gain thing. It took me a year and a half to lose the 10 pounds I gained when I first moved to Paris. They crept up so fast I didn't have time to evaluate which foods were causing the problem - the croissants, crêpes, butter or bread? hmmm..... :) Great article!!

D said...

i love it, BFFF. i swore i'd never use the BFF, but i will happily use BFFF, which you totally are. big hug. and in our common language b/w english and french (ie, the one we both know)...besos!

Amy75 said...

@LiC, Thank you so much! Btw, I've met you in person. You clearly identified the culprit. You're adorable. You sound like me - prefer savory to sweet! Unless your crêpes were Nutella :)
@Love you, D! Can't wait til we can get our grub on together either in Paris or SF!

Karin (an alien parisienne) said...

I liked the review, as I think I wrote to you on FB, right? Man, I lose track of what I write and where I write it. :) I commented about the souffle, huh.

What I really liked about your intro here is this:

"My absolute favorite, however, is great food at a reasonable price without pretentious service. While Michelin-rated restaurants are definitely a treat every once in a while, why just eat one meal when you can have three or four for the same price?"

Yesssssss! I like the way you think. :)

Keep up the good writing work, Amy.

Amy75 said...

@Karin, Thank you so much! Yes, you were kind enough to comment on FB, but I'll take another. I fixed my grammatical mistakes (with your help) in this post - at least, I think I fixed them. You never know with me. Not my strong point.

mommyshorts said...

I read that stupid book and all I could think was this person obviously doesn't share my love of food or my snail-paced metabolism.

Sounds like an exciting new job! Make sure you review lots of pretty macaroon shops and streetside crepe stands! (At least that's what this American tourist with a sweet tooth would do...)

Amy75 said...

@Mommyshorts, Seriousy Your request has been duly noted! You're a sweet girl. I'm bready, salty - especially since Dr. Atkins is no longer around to judge me :) Who am I kidding? I'll eat anything. Had leftover rasperry tarte for breakfast.

Andi said...

I TOTALLY gained weight the first 6 months I moved to France and had to seriously rethink my eating habits. Once I cut back on some of the bread I was eating and stopped snacking things got back under control. Congrats on the guest post, looks like another blog I am going to have to add to my reader!

Amy75 said...

@Andi, Glad to know I'm not the only one who couldn't resist all the delicious breads here. I've cut back a bit too, and started taking the stairs a bit more too to help balancing things out. Thanks re the D&D blog :) I'm really excited about it. My guest blog for you was my first ever - it really is fun.