Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ay Caramba!


"Looking for a cook in our Mexican restaurant.  No knowledge of mexican cuisine is necessary . . . "

This explains so much about the Mexican food in Paris.

Update:  Just read exciting news on Adrian Moore's blog about a new taqueria in Paris.  Can't wait to try it!

Update2:  I just walked by a new casual Mexican restaurant at 127 rue Mouffetard, 75005.  It's called BocaMexa.  It's not quite an authentic taqueria, more like a little Baja Fresh.  I'll have to give it a try and report back.


We tried BocaMexa, all I can say is that it was very average.  It tasted good, it just wasn't nearly as good as a burrito we could get back in California - or to be fair, it did not taste like what I am used to.  I will go back though.  The staff was super friendly and excited about the concept.  Plus, takes less than 10 minutes for me to walk there.  Those two points count for something.  Although, I am willing to trek to El Nopal near Canal St. Martin if it really is authentic. 

Update3: I also want to check out Casa Palenque over by Montparnasse. It looks like it could be good.

I'm just hoping none of these restaurants posted the ad on craigslist.

8 comments:

Ksam said...

lolllll!!

Pepe Le Pew said...

Really makes me want a burrito.

Andi said...

Oh yes, don't even try, even if you do find it, it will be awful - trust me! When I worked in Switzerland there was one Mexican resto near by and it was terrible. You are better off making it at home!

Andrea said...

ha! definitely try El Nopal. I live right down the street and while it's not exactly the same as it is in Los Angeles, the corn tortillas are made to order and the salsa verde is spot on!

Amy75 said...

Thanks, Andrea! I appreciate the information. Handmade tortillas?! I need to go now for sure.

Gwyn said...

Oh Amy, now I'm really missing Gordo's bean and cheese burrito with guacamole...mmmm.... If you find good Mexican food here, please let me know!

risamay said...

Do people have any idea how popular Mexican food is in the States and how much a homesick American would pay for a decent burrito, taco, or tamale abroad? Top dollar (or Euro, as it were)!!

Anyone who decided to open up an exceptional Mexican restaurant in Paris would make a killing. A killing, I say.

Amy75 said...

Risamay, I was just talking to my husband about this on Sunday (as we sat at BocaMex eating a mediocre burrito). Now I just need to find investors or be brave and take the risk - or get used to eating average French-style burritos :)