Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hide the sausage . . .


Once a year, on Independence Day, I allow myself to forget what is in a hot dog. Tucking them inside a bun and smothering them in mustard, onions, and relish helps disguise the truth.

This year we celebrated 4th of July at our place. Someone gave us a barbecue last year, but until now we hadn’t found the courage to use it (never being able to determine whether it's legal in Paris). Aside from a little window slamming from our upstairs neighbors, it was a great success.


The only problem was the left over pack of hot dogs I discoverd in the fridge the next morning. I felt too guilty throwing them away given all the starving people in the world (and now that we’re on a practice budget for when I stop working). I thought about freezing them in case times got tough, but eating an old hot dog is far worse than eating a relatively new one.

Fred offered to cook dinner so I wouldn't have to touch them. He even came up with a gourmet recipe to make them more appetizing -- chopped up and pan fried served over a bed of spaghetti. Remind me to check if he’s placed any
ads on the internet lately.

He's really taking this budget seriously, trying to feed me soup kitchen food. I reminded him that I could only eat hot dogs one way, hidden in a bun. Later, I realized that I had no right making fun of him considering that's my bottle of mustard on the left. If it's any consolation, I bought it in Paris so it was more expensive than his Maille Dijon.

5 comments:

joy suzanne said...

Amy omygod! II didn't hear anything about that cannibalism story that you linked to... how horrifying! Poor Fred just wanted to serve you your meat and meat bi-products in a new and appetizing way. :D

DianeCA said...

I am glad you save them for a special occasion. Hope the neighbors didn't die of shock from the grill smoke LOL! I came to your site from X-Pat traveller. I am an X-pat as well living in Norway. Greetings from the North!

TicTac To said...

you should have done it up right. kraft mac n' cheese w/ hot dog pieces. now, that is gourmet!!!

ChezLait said...

I've heard stories about how expensive it is to get American food in Paris. Was the mustard easy to find?

Le Tigre in France said...

oh wow I didn't know you were blogging again! welcome back! it's good to see some posts from you!