Sunday, July 08, 2007

Scar Tissue

I think the clothes at Monoprix are cute. I’m tempted to try them on when I go grocery shopping. Since practically all of France frequents this store, however, I don’t want people to recognize my clothing as having been purchased there. I’m not name conscious (now that I have to pay for my own clothes), nor am I a fashionable dresser. I wear jeans and t-shirts most of the time. Thus, a Monop ensemble would be a step up. It must be the emotional baggage I still carry from a humiliating childhood experience. While sitting on the cold floor of the multi-purpose room during an elementary school assembly, a classmate informed me that my "cool" silver and blue sneakers were Kmart brand. I went to the school nurse to report the child abuse immediately. My mother needed to be held accountable for dressing me like a peasant, or at least come and pick me up so I could go home and change.

4 comments:

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Hi Amy...
I was thinking the SAME thing about the Monoprix clothes, too.. Like, if I bought something from there and wore it on the street.. EVERYONE and their DOG would know it was from Monoprix..
Personally, I LOVED shopping at Targe and Payless... and though my clothes are mostly A&F mark... my style is an A&F ensemble.. t-shirt and chords, plus my SKETCHERS shoes... I think that ALL of my non-sneakers come from Payless and they are far better than some of the expensive shoe styles I see here.. Go out to the mall now that the SOLDES are on and I am sure you will find some good prices... Also, since you said you liked my purple orchids.. I suggest you go to the March 24 post and check out my purple orchids there.. See ya... Leesa

joy suzanne said...

Oh god. Last week I was checking out a cute shirt in Monoprix, having just left the grocery section. I put my bags down to look a little closer, and OF COURSE a french friend came swooshing out of nowhere to laugh at me...

shame.

Anonymous said...

I have to take exception to that, as I was informed by the school that I shouldn't dress Mary and you up in frilly clothes or name brands as much as I did. They told me the teachers got nervous if you spilled something on your offits., Love Mom

Anonymous said...

I've become a fan of the clothes in Monoprix, and when I passed your site i just wanted to add a little "coucou" and say that I dont think anyone can see or recognize where these clothes are coming from and so what, brands like ZARA and H&M excist allover the world...
personally I've found real jewels in Monoprix, great clothes for a very reasonable price. I have also noticed that they dont seam to make so huge productions as so many times when I have hesitated to purchase something that I liked It's impossible to find the next time you pass by, or worse you can not find your size....:! I have sometimes become obsessed to find the lost jewel and I have continued to look in other Monoprix even on the other side of town, I live in paris so theres a few of them.. and I realize that the different Monoprix shops doesnt have the same stuff..So next time you hesitate maybe you will find your cute shirt on your neighbour instead on you....
Coucou