Saturday, May 26, 2007

vin246

"Comment voulez-vous gouverner un pays qui a deux cent quarante-six variétés de fromage?" *

"How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?"*

- Charles de Gaulle, Les Mots du Général, Ernest Mignon (1962)



After reading a few of my past blog entries, I realized that I often give the impression that I dislike France and the French. This is not the case at all. But writing about nice encounters isn't cathartic. I subscribe to the lesser known adage: If you can't say something mean, don't say anything at all. Hence, on the days that I haven't written anything, it's safe to assume that les parisiens were indifferent to me and sometimes even nice!

In an effort to convey a more positive image, however, I've decided to start writing about some French things that I absolutely love: wine and cheese. My favorite thing French (Monsieur Frédéric, who prefers to be called "Fred" because he didn't grow up watching Sanford & Son) will be contributing to this segment as well.

Like many of you, we enjoy food and wine and have decided to learn more about it by trying to taste a new pairing each weekend every so often (we're lazier than I could have imagined). We figured if we wrote about it here, we could keep a record of our impressions and hear about your experiences as well. At the moment, we are far from being experts (me being even further away than Fred). But, we look forward to sharing our thoughts with you as we make our way.

Santé!

* While more cheeses may exist in France today, we dare not mess with a quote from General de Gaulle.

4 comments:

phillippa said...

can't wait for taste tests!!

The Late Bloomer said...

Love your new header, Amy! And I've really gotten a kick out of your last 2 posts: I can totally imagine you in your sandals when the storm started on Friday evening! I was sort of in the same boat, and I tried to wait out the storm a bit before leaving work, but I finally gave up and braved the rain -- and my flat "ballerina" shoes got soaked!

Mlle Smith said...

Ooooh, your new banner is beautiful; and your lesser known adage is hilarious and makes for very engaging blog entries! :0)

Tonya R said...

Hi, I'm a fellow American now living in Paris. Been reading your past entries and completely enjoying them. Please stick to your adage and say mean things - it makes for great reading. cheers.