Thursday, February 22, 2007

Who's Contaminating La France?


"Goodbye Americans who want to monopolize the world and who contaminate France!!!"

I find it ironic that this person -- who defaced the wall of a restroom (a filthy one at that) in a public library of the 15th arrondissement -- accuses Americans of contaminating France.

It's the rare American in France who pollutes bistros with cigarette smoke, allows their dog to defecate in the middle of the sidewalk, or spits loogies partout.

If, on the other hand, the author of this rebellious outburst is referring to contamination through globalization and commercialization, I can only say that on the odd occasion I have had a craving for McDonald's fries, I have been deterred by the extremely long line of French patrons waiting patiently for their McRoyale.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

People love to jump on that anti-Americanism bandwagon- it's like a pastime. I've met a lot of people who claim to hate Bush and capitalism and the American invasion of their daily lives, blah blah blah, and when I ask them why, they really can't answer, or their answers are just echoes of what everyone else says. It's pathetic. I'm not a fan of the current administration either but I don't go blaming all of a country's citizens for it!

But on a lighter note, have a great weekend! :)

Cooks on the Coast said...

Hang in there, girlfriend!

aralena said...

ugh. anti-americanism is the new fugly. it's incredibly ironic how seemingly intelligent, thoughtful people can swiftly transform into raging bigots at the mention of anything remotely related to the U.S. - and coming from California doesn't help matters, as I'm sure you know. did you know that we're all surfing, silicon-implanted, adulterated wine-guzzling hollywood billionaires? oy.

David said...

Earlier this week, I helped out a French-speaking man who was trying to find something at Target (what in the world a French-speaking man was doing in the San Mateo Target is beyond me). If you want, Amy, I'll hunt him down and spew some anti-French rhetoric at him! :-)

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Oh... Drats!!! I wished I saved the pet peeves for this blog entry... I mainly see anti-Sarkosy sentiments scrawled on benches.... But....
This is sooo true about what you wrote!!!! I have been very fortunate in that in the 7 months I have lived here.. I have met many many French folks who just love Americans... they told me so... I don't like our gov't but I certainly don't bash the country over it... And what is UP with those AWFUL loogies all over the sidewalk.. Sometimes.. I just want to BARF.. when I see them.. afraid to stop staring down as I walk for fear of stepping in one or the crotte de chien right beside it.. Hahahhahaha!!! You are RIGHT on the mark on this one.. Thanks for the post!!!