Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Trip to Remember . . .

We boarded the train at Gare Saint-Lazare last Saturday morning and arrived at the Deauville-Trouville station in Normandy just over 2 hours later.




We chose this destination for our weekend getaway in spite of it being rainy season because of les huîtres et les crevettes roses. Fresh off the train, we wandered into La Marine and ordered a giant platter of both:



Fresh bread, salty butter, and a bottle of Muscadet were the perfect compliments!














And, despite predictions, we enjoyed beautiful weather most of the trip.


Later that day, we drove 20 minutes to the the 11th century fishing port of Honfleur.


We tasted the calvados.


We laughed at the expression on this cute little dog.


We window shopped.


And gazed at treats in bakery windows.

















The day was perfect, in fact, until Fred blurted out that they had found a decapitated man not far from there. Some things are better left untranslated, like this public notice.












Back in Trouville, there was another public announcement that was equally as serious:


It's difficult to read because I'm no photographer. The sign explains that because this café/boulangerie is open 7 days a week it must refrain from selling baguettes over-the-counter at least one of these days to be fair to the boulangeries that are not open 7 days a week, per labor union agreement. Fred and I enjoyed our omelets and baguette in the café, watching as potential customers walked in and then out of the boulangerie, empty handed.

The most unforgettable part of our trip was our visit of the D-DAY LE CHOC ("The Shock") memorial sites:

The World War II Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial






Omaha Beach



Pointe du Hoc




I couldn't help but wonder what the soldiers who died on June 6, 1944 would think of today's war.

4 comments:

The Late Bloomer said...

These are great photos, Amy! I've been to Normandie a number of times, but I spent most of my visits in Honfleur or Etretat and a few passages through Deauville-Trouville, Villiers-sur-mer back when I was a student. Most recently I've been to Le Havre, as my boy's father lives there. The strange thing is, I'm embarrassed to say that after all this time spent in that region, I still haven't seen Omaha Beach and the D-Day monuments. I'm really going to have to make time for that as soon as possible!

I especially like your photos in Honfleur; I love that town! Ah, and the seafood -- I remember that the first lobster I ever had was in Honfleur, over 12 years ago. Funny, the things that come back to us... (and I know that supposedly the lobster in Brittany is the best, but the one in Normandy wasn't half-bad either!)

Cooks on the Coast said...

Amazing photos, Amy. The video of the cemetery gave me chills (or maybe I was already cold). Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful trip, I am so jealous what a treat to be able to see it, and how somber to see all the crosses. It seems the world never learns the cost of war in human sacrifices., Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks Amy and Fred!
I feel like I took the trip with you both. You are right the dog made me laugh and so did the idea that people were leaving the bakery empty handed. Please do more of these so I can feel like I am somewhere else instead of at my desk...working.. ;-) -Gil