Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's Tuesday, I'm in Love . . .

I man handled nearly every bag. Desperately searching for some kind of clue, I smoothed out the plastic hoping that the name of the magic ingredient was folded in the crease. I resorted to sticking my nose intimately close to the moisture-release holes trying to capture a whiff of raisin, chocolate, walnut, olive, something! What kind of bread was this?!?

I thought my antics had gone unnoticed. However, there was a Franprix employee lurking in the background enjoying la folie. He walked up and said the equivalent of: Are you sure you touched all of them? I laughed embarrassedly and started pointing to the different brown chunks inquiring: Qu'est-ce que c’est? Et ça? Et ça? Et ça? But before he revealed the secret, he wanted to know what I was: Vous êtes anglaise? Nope, not English, American.

He then went into a very long explanation to a coworker who was passing by, and probably couldn’t have given a damn considering she was on a break and had an entire orange in her mouth, about how wonderful Americans are and how we are such friendly and open people. I jokingly said, maybe the people, but not the president. He said that the administration and the people are not one in the same. And went on to say that Americans are some of the nicest people he had ever met. Ahhhhhhhh. How sweet! Then I told him to shut the f^(% up and tell me what was in the bread!!! Just kidding.

I’m in love with France (and the French) encore!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you buy the bread, is it good toasted or for sandwiches??, mom

Paula M. Lawhon said...

I thought it was "break my heart" on Tuesday and Wednesday and that by Friday, "I'm in love." Now that I've repeated the whole thing several times to myself, I've mixed up all the days and can't remember what occurred each day. Oh well, made me laugh. :)

David said...

Damn I love good bread. Reading this post made me long for some good bread . . .

IslandGirl4Ever2 said...

Oh la la.. I can't eat bread right now.. Regime for summer time maillot de bain and I can't seem to drop the extra few we both picked up in the States WAY back in Nov... But.. to the point.. LOVE the bread here in France... esp. a warm baguette... ahhhhh.. Nothing like that in San Diego.. not even... at Bread and Cie!! Bread is just NOT the same in America...
The French are among the nicest people... I speak French so I am sure it helps... but really.. They are helpful and friendly... the only p.peeves I have of the French are when they walk on the street.. or drive cars.... Then I can't stand it anymore.. also, why do people spit all over the sidewalk?? Utterly degueulasse!! Apart for the down stuff.. I just LOVE living here now permenantly.. Still miss the ocean and of course, Valentine's(Market St. downtown SD and Panchito's in Hillcrest.. and of course Peets coffee!!! Ciao, Leesa