Sunday, December 31, 2006

Paranoid or Making Progress?

Our waiter asked me if I was Canadian. Fred assumed he thought I was a Québécoise because of my accent when speaking French. I think it’s because when he tried to seat us in “non-smoking” after scanning the room and pointing out a table at random I said “Là? À côté de la femme avec la cigarette?” he pegged me as American. However, as my girlfriend in London will confirm, it’s somewhat politically incorrect to “accuse” someone of being American. Or similar to asking a woman when her baby is due when she isn’t pregnant. It’s safer to ask if a person is Canadian, thus, not to offend them by calling them American in the event they actually are Canadian. Plus, I know my accent is nowhere near close enough to a true Francophone, even a French-Canadophone!

5 comments:

Samantha said...

We're in Montreal for the week, and considering the accents of some of the people here, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing you don't sound French-canadian!!! *S*

Cynthia Rae said...

Wishing you all the best in 2007. Buon anno!
Cyn

My Heart Runneth Over said...

Wishing you a very Happy New Year! All the best! ~M

Doug (Canadian in France) said...

I moved to the Jura (west side of France) and over here people always think my wife and I are from the UK. However, when asked I'm always quick to point out I'm from Canada, as the Canadians are well thought of in France but opinions about the British are a bit more reserved. However, my wife is German and memories of the war are still strong here, so we tend to avoid mentioning this.

Anonymous said...

We were in Montreal early December and loved it! It was like being in France without having to leave North America! We were there while Joe was visiting you two in Paris! He had a wonderful time and we are envious! -Gil and Robert