Thursday, November 23, 2006

Be American. Save Money.

On my way home I passed a normal looking man in his early 30s sitting on a bench across from my house in the cold, damp weather. A backpack and suitcase piled up next to him. He asked me if I spoke English. He genuinely seemed like he was in need of help, like perhaps he had lost his wallet. I said yes. He then asked if I was American, to which I also said yes. He told me to forget it. I pressed the issue but he said he didn't want to talk to me. I asked what his problem was, but he refused to tell me. Although I was fairly certain, I asked him what he was - besides an asshole - but still, he refused to talk. In any event, I delighted in watching him ask strangers for money from the comfort of my balcony. Most people ignored him. Apparently begging for money in my native tongue is perfectly acceptable, however, taking money from my infidel pocket is not. If he knew anything about America, he'd know that today is Thanksgiving, thus, I'm in a giving mood and would have been good for at least 50 centimes.

3 comments:

phil said...

now. if you were REALLY in a giving spirit, you could've made sure he got the 50 centime..... dropped on his head from your 5th floor balcony...one at a time.....

Jennifer said...

That's weird. I wonder what his issue was!

David said...

Where does a guy panhandling for money get off being picky? It reminds me of a guy in San Francisco who asked me for money for food, and then when I offered to buy him food, he got angry!