Monday, July 03, 2006

Joke's on me, again!

We watched the France v. Brazil match with a group of Fred's college buddies. Our friends' three year-old has the funniest habit. He loves to clean. His mom swears that she has no idea how or why it started, but it was hilarious and prompted me to offer free babysitting anytime. He was walking around the apartment with his napkin (which ironically was slightly dirty as he'd been wiping his mouth with it while he gnawed on some saucisson) and rubbing the sofa, the carpet, and the chairs, all the while repeating "C'est sale" - It's dirty. I had to laugh, especially since I could tell that the hostess spent a good deal of time cleaning the place before her guests arrived. Just as I had spent a good deal of time shaving my legs just hours before so I could wear a skirt. While the little guy rested from his cleaning spree, he brushed against my leg and exclaimed: "Ça pique" - That's prickly. I told his mom that I had just shaved, something I was proud of as it had been awhile. She tried to convince her son that my legs were "doux" - soft. But he was adamant and repeated it a few more times to make sure the entire party heard. I revoked my babysitting offer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was funny, maybe you shouldn't shave, if it gets long enough it will be doux., he he! Mom

Expat Traveler said...

hi amy - I just found your blog through cyn's comments. I loved your wedding and meeting story. I was out in Switzerland and France and met mine in Canada. :)

David said...

Happy 4th of July! How do expats celebrate the 4th? Do they have hot dogs and apple pie in Paris?

sfgirl said...

maybe the kid should be running around with a little razor and shaving cream. shaving cream should be dispensed from his mouth.

i have to admit it's pretty funny.

Expat Traveler said...

Amy - the cat came after the dog but really if you introduce them slowly and the dog knows to be gentle and that the cat is boss, it will work. I've seen it work before. Dogs are way more work than cats though!