Sunday, June 25, 2006

A little history . . .

[The truncated version]

Stars were falling from the sky the night we met. It was November 17, 2001, the evening of the Leonid Meteor shower. We were at the housewarming party of mutual friends, Meriem and Dimitri. Toward the middle of the night, the party moved to the roof-top to watch the sky. Fred offered me his jacket and I accepted, even though I wasn't cold. We talked the night away. Although Fred was planning on moving back to France the following year, we fell in love and he stayed with me in San Francisco.

On July 1, 2004, at Lac de Gaube in the Pyrenees Mountains, between France and Spain, Fred got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said "oui," "si," and "yes" just to make sure there was no misunderstanding!

Like many couples of different nationalities, Fred and I had two ceremonies. The first was two years ago today in San Francisco. And the second was in Bordeaux the following September. The traditional French wedding is two steps: civil and religious. Family and friends gather at the Hôtel de Ville (or the Mairie) of the arrondissement or ville of the couple. The mayor performs the civil ceremony in a small room overflowing with guests. The couple, flanked by their respective witnesses (best man/maid of honor), in the center. Thereafter, the guests usually walk as a group to the church to observe the religious ceremony, which is similar to a typical U.S. ceremony except the wedding party is usually limited to the witnesses and the mother-of-the-groom accompanies him down the aisle, opposed to observing the procession from the front pew. Then it’s on to the reception, which is pretty much the same in both countries: family, friends, champagne, food, cake, and dancing!

Our civil ceremony was held at San Francisco City Hall.  Here are a few photos:

Overjoyed

The Kiss

It's Official

If you'd like to continue on our lovefest (or you're bored at work), click here.

Today also is a special day for my cousin John and his wife Mandy. It is their one year anniversary. Happy Anniversary!

And it is our friend Meriem's birthday. Bonne anniversaire et gros bisous, Meriem! Merci pour avoir mis en scène l’événement qui a changé nos vies.

7 comments:

phil said...

i love, love, love the photos and the song! in that last pic, it looks like you're about to slip him the tongue. you strumpet, you.

Cynthia Rae said...

Happy (belated) anniversary! Thank you so much for sharing the details of your special day, the pictures are wonderful.

I think it is cute to call your French husband Fred, as I call my Italian husband Dan (rather than Danilo)! hehehehe!

Wishing you both many years of happiness. Buon aniverario e tanti tanti auguri!
Cyn

Anonymous said...

That was such a special day, and I was so excited to be part of it. We really had a great weekend with the grandkid and Mary and Brian!, Love Mom

MyHeartHurts said...

Congratulations on your big day! I wish you all the best health, love and happiness and the best of Luck in your new home France! How exciting and challenging all at the same time I bet! Be well always, M!

Mary said...

How weird! Brian and I were just talking about the civil ceremnoy last weekend and saying what a nice time we had. However, I fear chasing down TJ is why Bilbo is my only nephew.

Laura said...

The video that you guys have is SO FREAKING ADORABLE!!! I-LOVE-IT!!!

Gil said...

This is so sweet! Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness! Congratulations! XOXO -Gil