Thursday, June 29, 2006

Joke's on me

As we finished dinner I asked Fred if he would like more water, to which he responded "Si tu plait". As I filled his glass, I told him that I'd prefer he use the vous form with me (the formal "you" used out of respect, with strangers, or to intentionally maintain distance between you and the person with whom you're speaking).

He laughed as he assumed I was joking, and I was. But I wanted to see how far I could take it. I explained that in most situations I speak with strangers, therefore, it would be more beneficial for me to hear vous and he could help my learning progress by respecting my request. (I had two glasses of wine with dinner and thought I was hilarious.) He lovingly responded in vous and I felt like a jerk so my joke was short-lived.

To make it up to him, I plopped down on the sofa to watch some of the France v. Spain World Cup match. Fred commented that the veteran French star Zinedine Zidane was playing better this game. In an attempt to relate I said, "So ol'Zizi has still got it, eh?" Fred laughed and corrected me: "Zizou! His nickname is Zizou."

"Zizi" is kid-slang for penis. You'd think I'd remember as I made the same mistake last week when I noticed Zidane's prematurely balding head wasn't shaved quite as nicely as usual and told my friend who does marketing for Schick blades that he should give zizi a razor.

2 comments:

phil said...

somebody better pay you for the zizou's zizi hair zapping campaign.

Todd said...

Ok, so it looks like if we approach Zizou to be a spokesperson for Wilkinson I will have to work in a royalty in the contract for Reverdy consulting services.

As for shaving Zizou's zizi: it may be a stretch, so I might need your help in pitching the idea...

bon dimanche et bises,
Todd