Friday, April 28, 2006

Un, deux, trois . . .

















When people asked me the level of my French speaking abilities, I would use a three year-old child as a comparison. Yesterday, I ran into my three year-old neighbor, Axelle, in the hall and she struck up a conversation. She said "chaussures de cours" and generously hinted by grabbing her little foot. I gave her nanny a perplexed look. "Running shoes". I knew the meaning of these words independently, but out of context and all in a row, I was lost.

When Fred came home, he shared a story about his coworker’s three year-old daughter. Apparently, the toddler is making all kinds of cute verb conjugation errors that her mother finds hilarious. He recounted one such mistake for me as I sat waiting for the funny part, which in my mind never came. I was too impressed that the little girl could form a sentence in the past tense. I’m hardly at the point, or in a position, where I can detect grammar flaws and double entendres.

Looks like I’m back to hanging out with two year-olds. Mom, could you please send me my Barney costume?

P.S. The photo is of Fred, by the way. You can tell by the blue romper. Plus, my parents didn't buy me shoes until I was twelve.

5 comments:

phil said...

Wow. Check out the peg leg warmups and vintage stroller. Like it!

My favorite though, is the Hot Dog on a Stick outfit, but in blue!

Does Fred do lemonade?

David said...

Wow, you got shoes when you were twelve? I didn't get shoes until I learned to stich them myself at the age of 15.

Michael H. said...

That is one Stylin Frenchman! I never knew Fred had such a knack for dressing himself....and look at the package on that kid!

Cynthia Rae said...

Too cute! I know just what you mean, I have been here a year and a half and speak Italian like a two year old. Oh but my husband's English has really improved!

Best wishes,
Cyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy!
Meriem directed me to your blog. I've been browsing it for the past few days and very much enjoying your thoughts about good old "Parrree" and its "natives."
I'd love to get back in touch (which I'm sorry we lost in the first place). I'll be in Paris the first week of June. Evaleen is there too for 6 months. If you can, send me your e-mail address at: sophie@campcobalt.com.
Can't wait to catch up!!
Sophie Cohen