Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Finally, Sun!

Many people have told me that I have a lot in common with Rocky Dennis, but it wasn’t until I read some of his poetry that I truly understood why.

These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun, shining on my face.
Rocky Dennis, Mask (1985)

Signs of spring are finally beginning to show in Paris. The other day, while sitting at my computer, a ray of sunlight pierced through my window to reveal its warmth on my face. My spirits were instantly lifted, however, the glare on my computer screen made it impossible for me to work and I was forced to lower the shades. The sun on my face, a blessing and a curse.

It’s interesting. As a child, I was oddly fascinated by the sun-deprived twins in Flowers in the Attic. I wrote several letters to Mattel begging them to come out with itty-bitty, pasty-white, sunken-eyed, brittle-haired twin dolls (this was before the Olsen twins). My wish was never fulfilled by Mattel, or Santa. But arriving in Paris in winter and having had the opportunity to become a sun-deprived, sunken-eyed, pasty-white, holed-up person, I can tell you, it’s just not as fun as I had always imagined.



My friend Todd reminded me the other day about Paris Plage, the period between July and August when Paris turns the strip along the Seine into a beach. They even have a volleyball court set-up in front of the Hotel de Ville (the 6th picture down is the Hotel de Ville during winter). It's especially exciting because my new friend Phillippa is a bit of a volleyball star and I'm going to go cheer her on in my Team USA jersey as she makes some Frenchmen eat sand. We were a little tipsy when we made these plans, but I hope she was serious. My Igloo full of Coors Light, Oakely shades, and neon Mossimo shorts have been waiting for this day since 1988!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a long time between blogs!! I know what you mean, yesterday when I got home I put on shorts and sat outside and read the newspaper with a martini (couldn't wait for Pam's call to share our martinis). After all the rain and funky weather of Daly City it was such a treat and this weekend it will be in the high 70's to low 80's. Enjoy the sun, the picture looks beautiful., Mom

Anonymous said...

I read Flowers in the Attic and remembered saying to myself that VC Andrews is a strange. The siblings in a lot of her books are just a little too close...

By the way, one of the things I was sure to pack in my luggage when I moved was a pair of pink neon shorts with the big M on the ass. Looks like we're set for Summer on the Seine!

Anonymous said...

The Olson twins really ARE the wilted flower Dopelganger twins! I can't believe I never put two and two together. They even have that underlying incest-vibe going on. Eeek!
Love, p

Cynthia Rae said...

I remeber that book from when I was a kid. I didn't read it, but I remember when my Mom did. The cover on the book was a little scary to me and I was so happy that we didn't have attic in our house.

Perhasp I will have to read the book now that I am an "adult".

Paris looks beautiful. I can not wait to get there...someday.
Cyn