Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My Name is Talking Tina and I’m going to . . .

Why is it that when I meet complete strangers who speak French and English and they find out that I’m learning French, they feel compelled to say something to me in French and wait for my response as if they had just pulled a string on my back? I know they’re just trying to be friendly, but for me it’s very embarrassing not to be able to communicate in full sentences at my age, especially when I've never met them before. I have a script for all my dialogues in French and when someone veers off script, all I can do is look for Fred and yell: “Line?!?” To me their behavior is the equivalent of squatting next to a toddler and asking “how many are you?” and then clapping gleefully when the child holds up two fingers. Next time someone forces me to perform without my script I’m going to hold up a finger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad Amy - not that finger!
Paula

Sara said...

Great blog!

Good luck with the French learning, as another expat, I never thought I would manage either, but after about 2 years, and lots of tears its coming along.

http://lifeisnichtsimal.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You are too funny, mom