Sunday, March 26, 2006

Intervention


I did it. I bought a pair of aviatorish/slightly mirrored (only slightly, I promise)/eurotrash sunglasses. I couldn’t help myself. In defense of the French, I think it was mostly the Italian influence. There are so many Italian tourists here, I hear Italian spoken as much as I hear English (I have to assume it’s Italian, it’s a form of gibberish, not French, and not Spanish). I think there’s something about moving to another country that allows one the freedom to wear things they might not otherwise try in their own country because their friends would call them out on it.



It was confirmed the other day when I saw a jackass walking down the street in a massive, even bigger than the one pictured here and her head was smaller, fur-trimmed hunting hat. I thought, wow, when you’re French you can really get away with a lot more. As she walked by, I heard her big American accent and had to laugh because I knew she wouldn’t be sporting that hat in the U.S. Let’s face it; there are only a few people that can pull this look off. Most of them are models in Smirnoff Ice ads or funky college students. She was neither.

I’m kind of becoming her with what Fred refers to as my “space bug” glasses. That being said, he helped pick them out and prefers them over my old glasses. Although he was wearing fitted black Levi’s when we met, I have to take his word for it since I don’t have anyone else to ask. I suppose I could have emailed a picture to you, but I was afraid some of you would tell me no and, to be honest, I kind of like them. Call me Svetlana from now on.

4 comments:

JN said...

Enjoy the sunglasses! You'll fit right in.

Anonymous said...

Hey does this mean, I can have dark lenses put in my oversized frames that you alway loved on me. He He!!, Mom

David said...

Hey Svetlana, you need to post a photo of yourself wearing your new eye-wear!

Fabrice said...

American women do get away with fashion crimes in their own country. In many cases it's even more of a decency crime. I remember how horrified my wife was every time she spotted godzilla-shaped women wearing tank tops that woulda been too tight for Nicole Richie. And not in a trailer park but in crowded shopping malls.