Wednesday, February 08, 2006

On the road again . . .

By now, many of you may be asking yourself, "Is Fred a registered sex offender who is being forced to move from country to country and town to town after his neighbors recognize him on the evening news?" To which I can only say, I don't know. I try not to get caught up in the details, as long as our next place is better than the last. And this one is. (I say that now. It's quite possible that we may end-up living beneath another closet-obsessed Parisien. The man upstairs opens and shuts his closet at least 8 times per night. It starts at about midnight, his little routine. He's a very sharp dresser. I picture his meticulous self up there opening his closet, removing his tie, hanging it up, and closing his closet; opening his closet, removing his cuff-links, placing them in the crystal jewelry dish atop his dresser, closing his closet; opening his closet, unbuttoning his finely pressed shirt, removing it, hanging it up, and closing his closet. If I go on, I'll be just as annoying, but please continue in your mind until he has properly placed his perfectly polished, wing-tipped shoes in his closest and closed it for the eighth time.)

Although our place on Rue du Temple in the 4th arrondissement has been great, it was always intended to be temporary while we searched for a more suitable apartment (i.e., closer to Fred’s work, less crowded, guest room, etc.). It’s in a wonderful location, next to several shops, tourist attractions, and museums. However, it's similar to living near Union Square or Fisherman’s Wharf. Eventually the crowds get to be too much.

Our new place is located in the 15th arrondissement. This arrondissement has a reputation for being a little quieter, more family-friendly (this is not foreshadowing, just reporting what the guide books say), less touristy because there aren’t any major monuments in this district. But don't worry; if you visit, everything is 20 minutes away, or less!

Here are some photos of the new place. We move in on April 1, 2006. We sold our furniture before moving, so the apartment will be furnished as it is in the pictures. Assuming we like it, we plan on staying here at least a year while we try to find a place to buy.

*Click on photos to enlarge

The balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower (the view is better if you move a little to the left). When the agent was showing us the apartment, she told us that the view of the firework show in July is spectacular from the balcony. I assumed she meant July 4th, obviously, not! She was referring to July 14th, Bastille Day. It's not that I'm Americentric, I just sometimes seriously forget where I am. Luckily, I didn't blurt out anything stupid about the 4th of July or ask her what she did for Thanksgiving.


I'm pretty excited about the tailor's mannequin. I don't have a full-length mirror so I plan on dressing it up in my clothing to get a sense of how my outfit looks before I wear it out. She may make a good imaginary friend too. Although, that boa seems to hint that she works evenings.


Don't worry, friend who is visiting this summer (and you know who you are), there is a T.V. It's not pictured, but it is to the right of the leather chair.


"Master" bedroom - I'm being generous. I always thought that a master bedroom meant that it had a closet in it. I have so much to learn. But, it is cute and I'm very excited about the place!


Bilbo's/Guest's Room. I'm thinking of commissioning this same artist to paint pictures of Bilbo and me in matching clown suits for Fred's birthday. What do you think? Shhhh, it's a surprise!

*******
Links:
Here is a map to give you a sense of where we live now (4th) and where we are moving on April 1 (15th).
Map of Paris
Here are photos of our current apartment in the 4th.
Current Apartment

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow your apartment is beautiful, I too noticed the mannequin, there is quite a bit of red, but tastefully done, it makes the rooms very bright with the white and red as a compliment. Bilbo will like having more room. Mom

Anonymous said...

I really like the 15th arr. It's close to the Bois de Boulogne and great views and a very nice apartment!.. Also, am I the one visiting this summer?.. I like to watch TV. Ask Robert, when we travel it is important to me that I have a TV to watch..he sometimes wonders why we leave San Francisco at all especially when all we do is watch TV while on vacation..
-Gil

TicTac To said...

The new pad looks great, but do you know that someone left stacks of dynamite on your bed? Also, can Bilbo catch fire at this new apartment, or will he just be falling off the balcony?

John said...

what good will an imaginary mannequin friend be if he/she/it speaks french?