Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Get Your Hot Fresh Cornbread . . .

I'm beginning to think that Fred isn't who he says he is. Last night, he went to the grocery store to pick up some things for our dinner, steak and corn-on-the-cob. As he walked out the door, I suggested that he grab a baguette as well. He looked at me perplexed and said, "Bread doesn't go with corn". I thought I misheard him. He repeated himself. Then I looked perplexed. I told him that was the weirdest thing that I had ever heard (which he challenged, of course, and he was right. The weirdest thing I've ever heard had to do with a German cannibal who advertised for volunteers over the internet and received several). His assertion was weird nonetheless. It wasn't like I was going to slice the baguette open and use it as a hot dog bun for the corn cob. In fact, the baguette was for him more than me. It still doesn't make sense to me. Have you ever heard of a Frenchman turning down a baguette? We briefly revisited the issue again this morning. He explained that they didn't go together because they are both "carbs" (I guess that comment in his blog entry wasn't a joke!). I figured corn was a "vegetable" and bread was a "bread" on the food pyramid. And, I swear, I have seen him eat Corn Flakes before. Anyway, to prove my point, I've decided to take him to Tennessee on April 29-30th to celebrate at the "National Cornbread Festival" for next year's vacation (http://www.nationalcornbread.com/).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Fred, another blow to him made public.

John said...

your post made me look up "corn and bread" on google....I got back such winners as
Fresh Corn Pudding Bread ,
Crusty Corn Flat Bread ,
and Cheese Corn Spoon Bread . The are all named pretty poorly...("crusty"!!! come on). Does the word corn make anyone else laugh? How about pudding?