Friday, October 21, 2005

Around the World in 6 Hours . . .


I enjoyed a wonderful dinner last night at one of my favorite San Francisco restaurants, Plouf (http://www.ploufsf.com/). "Plouf" means "splash" - like the noise made from skipping stones. I love the ambience, as much as the food. It's located in a small alley in a row of restaurants that is adorned with miniature white Christmas-style lights.

At the table next to us was a group of French people chatting away. It was exciting, yet scary! I realized that soon this experience would lose its novelty and become my life. The melodic murmur of French diners soon would be an overwhelming reminder that I am a foreigner struggling to learn a language and a culture that are not my own. As I sat across the table from Paula, making jokes and catching up on life, I realized how much I will miss my life here - my friends, my family, my assuredness, my ability to express myself. I know these things will come, in time.

On the BART ride home, I continued to think about what awaits me in France: the difficulty of making jokes in a foreign language, understanding cultural references, and eating horse. As I pondered these thoughts, little did I know that Tom Cruise and Fred were experiencing the very same thing back in Walnut Creek! When Fred picked me up, he greeted me with "Konnichiwa, Watashi wa Reverdy Frederic" ("Hello, My name is Frederic Reverdy").

I thought it odd that my husband was introducing himself to me as a stranger (actually, I had no clue what he was saying); however, he explained that he was in the process of learning Japanese, inspired by the struggles of Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai - which he had just finished watching. I knew Tom Cruise had inexplicable cosmic powers (I mean, he did get Katie Holmes pregnant), but were they really strong enough to reach through the T.V. screen and teach Fred Japanese? Is this just the first step in Tom Cruise taking over my husband in an effort to gain the French citizenship that he so desperately wants (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8545431/)?

I'm a little worried, as I fear Fred just may be susceptible to the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard, he does like Dungeons & Dragons. Don't worry, I'll fight hard for him! Tom Cruise is no match for me (I'm certainly taller and probably weigh more!) Stay tuned and sayounara!

1 comment:

Charlotte&Guillaume said...

you're so super kawaï !! (another japanese word meaning "cute")
Amy you don't have to worry about your life in France ; we like to share so many things with you. And don't forget that it will be an exchange of cultures, food, experiences and above all : fun ! thank you for your french ! we want to listen to you now with your loveliest french accent ever ^^
Sayounara >_<